Sunday, April 27, 2008

Wonderful, Wonderful Weekend

Well, I'm writing from my usual spot this time of the year, where you can find me when I'm not working, sleeping, working out or walking the dogs: the back deck. The trees have really bloomed out in just the last week, so we can barely see the lake now, but it's OK. All the green and bright purple buds on the trees are a beautiful sight as well. From about April through November, the back deck is basically just another room in our house. We have great flow-through air conditioning from the lake, so we usually just leave the doors to the deck open and enjoy the sights and sounds and smells of the outdoors all day. Love it, love it, love it. And since it's screened in, no bugs or adverse weather to worry about.

I just got back from kayaking with my friend Allison, who is a senior at IU this year. She brought her dog, a lab-chow named Mia, over to play with Bailey and Zoey, so the puppies entertained themselves while we kayaked around Eagle Pointe and over toward the spillway. Allison has a big final exam and project due tomorrow, so she headed home and now it's just me and the puppies chilling and enjoying the rest of the gorgeous day, dreading going back to work tomorrow. I'll probably be sitting right here the rest of the day, minus a break for a nice run. I've been doing a lot of biking lately (biked 20 miles yesterday) and slightly neglecting running, but Josh and I are headed up to Indy for the Indy 500 Mini-Marathon next weekend, so I need to get a couple good runs in this week. Josh is doing the half-marathon and I'm only doing the 5K... which I could probably do in the worst shape imaginable, so I think I'll be OK ;)

This weekend has been great. A little on the chilly side yesterday, but still nice weather. Friday I found out that I got into IU for grad school, so the weekend started out great. Mom came up and we had dinner at Mother Bear's and then spent the rest of the evening taking the dogs for a long walk by the lake and hanging out here on the deck chilling and talking.

On Saturday, I biked to the shelter in the morning to volunteer, volunteered for two hours and then biked back. It was kind of nice to be back to the house by 11 am and know how much I had already accomplished for the day! I spent most of the day out here with my laptop, working on a research project for my professor. (Yes, it's fun to do, because it's a subject I'm interested in: sociology. And the professor is one of the best in the country. But I also get paid to help :)

It stinks that I never get to spend the weekends with Gearry, and probably never will, as is the nature of his job. But it's OK, too. I get a lot of stuff done, have plenty of time to swim/bike/run, and can just enjoy some personal time. But, truthfully, I wouldn't mind having a little less personal time if it meant more Gearry quality time. Honestly though, I can't complain, because we get to spend more time together now than we ever have before in our 7.5 year relationship: Monday nights, Tuesday nights, all day Wednesday and a couple hours on Sunday mornings. Gearry has lots of exciting things (i.e. promotions!) going on at work right now, so his schedule is about to change again in the next couple weeks. Not sure exactly how it will change, but supposedly it's going to be even better. I'm cool with that.

No comments: