Saturday, July 12, 2008

Can Summer Please Just Stay Around Forever?

Well, no news can really top that of my last post (thanks to everyone who sent "congrats") but I thought I'd just write a small update to appease those who log on regularly and are saddened so often to find that I have not updated.

Gearry and I have taken up tennis, one of the few sports I've never really played but wanted to for a long time. Gearry loves racquetball, so he's also been wanting to give tennis a try. Suiting, since we live at a golf and tennis resort. Gearry bought me a racket for my upcoming birthday (it's pink and brown, for breast cancer awareness, and a portion of the proceeds go to breast cancer research... I love it!) and we got in our first match on Wednesday. We pretty much... stunk? I mean, I guess we didn't play too horribly considering we were both novice. But we played again Thursday evening with much better results. (i.e. some sense of hand-eye coordination). I can't remember the score, but I do know that Gearry won in 3 sets. Today, after I returned from volunteering at the animal shelter, we managed to cram in 2 sets before Gearry had to leave for work. He won the first set 6-2, and I won the second 6-3. So that means that tomorrow morning we have a tennis date so that we can play the third and final set and determine the winner of the match (hopefully me). We really need to stop adding additional fun sports to our lives, as it is growing increasingly difficult to decide if we want to go swim, run, bike, kayak, golf or, now, play tennis. Guess that's a good problem to have: options.

Hmm... not much else to report on. I've been sleeping most of the day since Gearry left for work, although I should have been working on research for my professor and studying for the NCAA compliance exam that I have to take on Tuesday, July 22nd. And, as we all know from recent experiences with the IU men's basketball team, knowing your NCAA compliance rules is pretty darn important. I have to get an 80% on the test, but it is an open book exam, so I'm not too stressed about it. But a little. Because I stress about everything (duh)... the curse of being a perfectionist/over-achiever. Oh, well... I needed a semi-lazy day (minus the volunteering and tennis).

Oh, I almost forgot... our vacation has finally been confirmed! Hillary and her husband Chris were making the reservations, so we've been waiting patiently. We are, for sure now, going to Hilton Head from Tues., August 26th through Sunday, August 31st. We've never been to Hilton Head, but Chris has and loved it, so suggested it for a couples' vacation. I have grad school orientation on Monday, August 25th, or we'd be leaving much earlier. Then I start grad school on Tues., September 2nd. So, basically, we're cramming this vacay into the absolutely smallest hole of vacancy I will have available for some time. But Hill's in grad school (master's of social work) at Ohio State, so it's hard to work around both of our schedules.

I'm really looking forward to the time away, however. Although I know my mind will be racing 100 miles an hour with all the thinking about the upcoming year, I hope I can sit back and relax a bit and charge up my batteries for the next 9 months or so. We're planning on lots of beach time, relaxing in the sun, biking, eating, tennis, kayaking, etc.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Haha, compliance. Haha. Now there's one part of rowing I definitely DON'T miss.