Sunday, June 8, 2008

Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot...

The ever-trusty weather.com and my burning flesh every time I go outside tell me that with the humidity it is 88 degrees and currently feels like it is 92 degrees outside! Yikes. Needless to say, Gearry and I finally broke down and shut our doors and turned the air conditioning on. I'm all about conserving energy, but when you break into the upper 80s, lower 90s, it's just time to start using the man-made wonderfulness that is artificial air.

I mentioned in the last post that Gearry and I had finally found some flowers we liked for our front porch. We're picky, so for the last month or so we've just had empty pots of dirt sitting there waiting until we found the perfect plant accompaniment. They are asiatic lilies and they look great:



I heard so many boats out on the lake this morning when I took the dogs out for a walk. Dad is working, working, working for the next few weeks with no time to bring the boat up, but as soon as July 1st rolls around, he'll probably be up here a ton, and Gearry and I can't wait! It'll be nice to just walk down to Harbour Pointe and hop on the boat! I spent so much time on the boat growing up, and last year was probably the first year of my life that we didn't go out even once, thanks to the boat being jacked up. But the boat is as good as new and I'm ready for another summer of swimming, skiing, cruising and -- with gas prices as crazy as they are -- sitting on the water.

July 1st, for those of you who don't know yet, is my dad's last day at work. Yes, Gary D. Young is officially retiring. I am SO happy for him, and although it is going to be a big adjustment, I'm sure he'll be happy with the decision in the long run. I give him about six months before he gets bored out of his mind and starts his "second career" as is typical for young retirees. But, still, that's great. Life's too short to not do what you love, hence the reason I'm going back to school to get my certification and master's even though I feel like I should be well into my normal non-student life by now. But it's OK; life is a big, crazy, mostly fun or at least interesting adventure, so it seems.

Mom is on her way up to pick me up. We're going to head into town and enjoy the day. Library, a few errands, some shopping and dinner out. It's a little too hot to put poor Bailey and Zoey on the back deck while we're gone, so I think I'm going to (stupidly) let them stay inside. That usually results in disaster... yesterday, they were left alone for 30 minutes and that resulted in the shredded of the insoles of Gearry's work shoes and the continued shredding of our front door mat (they've been working on it for awhile). But, I'll puppy proof as best as I can!

No comments: