Monday, December 3, 2007

Gotta Love Those Dave & Rae Fridays

Friday was definitely one of my favorite days of 2007 (minus that whole wedding/honeymoon thing… heh heh). Stebby came in from Ohio, along with her friend Colleen (not the same Colleen from IU that I usually talk about), for a night out in B-Town and some Dave & Rae! If you haven’t heard me talk about Dave & Rae before: #1 That is surprising, and #2 They are pretty much the greatest cover band ever. Yeah, cover band, but still. They do a little bit of everything from Journey to Vanilla Ice to Oasis to John Mellencamp, and they definitely made for a lot of crazy nights during my years at IU (or at least the years I was old enough to get into the bars!). Over time, Stebby’s antics have managed to gain us VIP status, so it is always a good time when Stebby gets invited up on stage to dance or sing, or when we all hang out with the band. They are definitely not world famous, by any means (maybe famous in B-Town? maybe not), but we get excited like little groupies because we have so many great college (and now beyond) memories attached to their performances. And Gearry got to go with us thanks to his new schedule! My friends are big Gearry fans… what can I say?

So, Friday was excellent. There are so many pictures, but I never have them. We used Stebby’s camera, so if I can ever force her into posting them, I’ll put a few up. After hitting up the fabulous Carly & Parman residence for some homemade lasagna, garlic bread and salad, our group migrated over to the Bluebird and had a blast at Dave & Rae, crawling into bed at some outrageous hour in the morning. Unfortunately, I had to be up at 7:30 on Saturday to volunteer. Yuck. I somehow managed to drag myself out of bed and make it to the animal shelter on time. I psyched myself up with the thought of a nap in the afternoon, only to realize I didn’t have time since I had to meet a group of co-workers at 1:00 to go to another co-worker’s holiday open house/craft bazaar. It all worked out, though, because we had a good time, and I made it home by 6:00 p.m., and found the bed shortly thereafter. I’m pretty sure it was the second night that week that I was in bed by 6:30 p.m. Sad, but true.

There are lots of little things going on this week, but nothing major. Tonight I have to run up to Greenwood after work to pick up my bridesmaids dress for Hillary’s wedding, but I’m literally driving there, picking it up, and driving right back, no pit stops, no shopping. I’m on a savings and investing mission ;)

Gearry is doing great. He loves his new job. He’s a good leader, despite his quiet nature, so I think he’s settling in nicely. I’m happy for him, except that I never see him (our schedules are pretty much opposite of each other), so this is taking some getting used to. I’m at work when he leaves for work, and I’m in bed when he gets home from work. This doesn’t really have anything to do with the drive (which he has already mastered, thanks to a shortcut, down to 41 miles and 50 minutes), but just with the fact that our normal routines totally butt heads. I look forward to our Thursday and Friday evenings together, but it’s not nearly enough. I am considering working a flex schedule Monday-Thursday, so that I have Fridays off to be with him. But that means working until 6 p.m., Monday-Thursday, rather than my current 7:30-3:30 or 8:00-4:00. Gotta weigh out the options…

Josh is entering his “dead week” at Purdue, with no classes this week so that he can prepare for finals next week. (Wow, I am so glad not to have that anymore!) I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he has a productive week of studying and nails all of his exams!

No comments: