Monday, June 21, 2010

Whirlwind

Gearry's last couple of weeks here in Indiana are flying by in a whirlwind of activities, events, get-togethers, and must-do's that has me in disbelief that it is already June 21st. A few brief updates:

- On Saturday, June 12th, we had a going-away cookout for Gearry at Lake Monroe. It was so wonderful to have almost all of my loved ones in the same place at the same time and made us feel very good to know how much we are loved. Thanks to my mom and Gearry's mom, we had tons of delicious food and a very great -- albeit very hot -- evening.




- The next day, on Sunday, June 13th, I participated in my second Hoosierman, a triathlon that takes place at Fairfax Beach at Lake Monroe. I definitely had not trained as hard as I did last year, between working at school and some knee issues that had my doctor telling me not run for two weeks before the triathlon, so I was a little apprehensive, but it was definitely a fun time. I had barely trained on the swimming leg, so I was super slow, but I had a pretty decent bike and I just tried to hang in there for the run. It definitely didn't take me as long to recover as it has from triathlons in the past, so I think I have done a good job of building a pretty solid endurance base with things like the half-marathon. I am looking forward to doing some new triathlons in the Savannah area, including one that I am aiming for on Jekyll Island in October. A whole album of pictures from the Hoosierman is posted on my facebook, but here are a couple of them:



- On Saturday evening, June 19th, as Gearry and I were getting ready for a double date with our friends Catherine and Brian at the Taste of Bloomington event, Bailey gave us quite a scare. He started throwing up, which wasn't a big deal, but he proceeded to throw up 6 or 7 times within a 15 minute period. We had him sitting in the bathtub because he was throwing up so much. We were trying to comfort him when he started shaking violently. He tried to climb out of the bathtub and collapsed. As he tried to get up and make his way to the door, his eyes were very glassy and his limbs kept collapsing underneath him. If you've ever seen someone who's body is shutting down at the end of an Ironman or a marathon, that's exactly what he looked like. It was terrifying and, later, as Gearry and I discussed it, we both admitted that we thought he was going to die right there on our bedroom floor. Needless to say, my puppy-mommy-instincts kicked in and I grabbed him and we ran for the car. Because it was Saturday, no vets in Bloomington were open, so we had to hightail it to the emergency vet in Indianapolis. That was a very scary hour in the car, followed by a very scary hour and a half waiting to find out what was wrong. Thankfully, the vet had good news. The "seizing" and passing out was a side effect from the throwing up. When you throw up that many times, it can activate a nerve in the body that causes you to lose consciousness. The cause of throwing up that much is still a mystery, but he was a little dehydrated and had not eaten all day, so they think that played a part. He had every diagnostic test you can imagine run on him (seriously, $800 worth) and he is perfectly healthy. They wanted to keep him for 24 hours to keep an eye on him, make sure he was eating and drinking, give him some IV fluids, etc., so we finally got him back around 11:00 p.m. on Sunday evening. I've never been more happy to cuddle with my little guy last night.

- In other puppy related news, after much debate, we have decided that Gearry is going to take the puppies with him next Monday when he moves to Savannah. Originally the plan was for them to stay and move with me at the end of July/beginning of August, but because my job at camp is requiring many, many more hours than we had anticipated and I would be home far less each day than Gearry will be, we decided it was best for the dogs if they went with him. It's not fair to them to be stuck in a crate for 14 hours a day with only a couple of quick walks from the dog walker. I'm very sad at the prospect of not only not having Gearry for a month but also Bailey and Zoey, but I know it is what is best for them, and I know they will also help keep Gearry company while he is alone for that month. So, we ordered a travel crate and I'm doing lots of petting and hugging and spoiling while I can.

No comments: